Who doesn’t love steak? Well, I guess non-meat eaters. But for everyone else, steak is a popular favorite. When preparing and eating steak, most probably think of a nice filet or strip grilled to perfection. However, there are many other ways to prepare steak. I am a big fan of the steak sandwich. I’m actually a big fan of all sandwiches but this post is about a particular steak sandwich that combines three of my favorite ingredients: steak, muenster cheese, and bread!
If you’ve seen our previous blog post, Steak in a Cast Iron Skillet, cooking steak in a cast iron skillet is a quick and easy way to prepare steak, especially if you don’t feel like firing up the grill. When cooked this way, you get a great sear on the steak and it’s the perfect method for this sandwich.
Bonus: You only need one steak for 4 sandwiches so this is a great way to save money and still have steak night!
- 12 oz Strip or Filet Steak
- 4 Slices Muenster Cheese
- 4 Wheat Kaiser Buns (or your favorite bread)
- Season steak liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Let the meat come to room temperature.
- Put about a tablespoon of oil in the cast iron skillet and spread it all over the bottom of the pan with a paper towel.
- Heat the cast iron skillet on medium-high to high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, put the steak in the pan and cook for 4 minutes/side for medium-rare, 4.5 minutes/side for medium and 5 minutes/side for medium well. Walk away from the cooking meat and only flip the steak one time!
- Let steak rest on a cutting board for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. If you were just put into a skillet, you'd want a rest too when you got out.
- Slice steak into thin strips.
- Cut the rolls in halve and spread mayonnaise on each side.
- Place a slice of muenster cheese onto each roll and top with a quarter of the sliced steak.
- Add lettuce and enjoy!
Because you only need one steak and most steaks come in a 2 pack, you can either freeze the second one or get the supermarket to split the package. They’ll happily open the package and reseal it with just the one cut that you want.
Freeze raw steak in a zip-top bag for up to 6 months. When ready to cook, thaw in the refrigerator over night or under cold water for about an hour, season and let it come to room temperature.
Muenster is a semisoft cow’s milk cheese with an orange colored rind. Its flavor ranges from mild when young, to quite strong for well aged cheeses.