First things first: Yes, this recipe includes the white cheese dip that you get in Mexican restaurants!
I LOVE nachos! They’re definitely my favorite Mexican food and are probably in my top 10 favorite foods in all the world. Ironically, when I went to my friends’ wedding in Cabo, I had a total of zero nachos. Weird, huh?
I first made a Make Your Own Nacho Bar for a super bowl party that I threw years ago. They were surprisingly easy to make, and making enough for 6 people is the same as making enough for 20 people. If you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing party food, give the Make Your Own Nacho bar a shot. This is one of the things that my friends and I make a lot when we go out of town and need to make a big meal for a bunch of people.
- 1 lb Ground Beef, Turkey or Chicken
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ lb White American Cheese
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 tsp – 1 Tbs Diced Jalapeños
- ⅔ Cup Milk
- Tortilla Chips
- Spanish Rice, Cooked
- Romaine Lettuce, Chopped
- Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- Fresh Jalapeños, Sliced
- Sour Cream
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef or chicken and pour off any fat.
- Add the seasoning packet and ⅓ cup water to the meat and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until the water reduces and thickens. Remove from the heat and cover until ready to serve.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and then the peppers, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until everything is tender and the onions are translucent.
- Cut the white American cheese into cubes and put into a microwave safe bowl (I use a glass measuring cup). Add the butter, jalapeños, and milk and microwave on high in 1 minute increments until the cheese is melted, stirring between each round of microwaves.
A Make Your Own Nacho Bar turns into a Make Your Own Taco Bar or a Make Your Own Burrito Bar by simply adding taco shells or appropriately-sized flour tortillas!
Freeze cooked meat and cooked peppers and onions in separate bags for a quick and easy nacho/taco/burrito kit!
Cilantro is the planty part of the coriander plant. The spice coriander, used in curry, comes from the same plant!