I hadn’t had that much experience with zucchini until my sister (or possibly my brother in law) made these one Sunday afternoon at a family get together. Since then, I have had a lot of zucchini prepared a lot of different ways but this is still my favorite way to make them. The simplicity of this recipe (if you can even call it that) is what makes it so great and the perfect accompaniment for almost any main dish you can think of.
- 2 Large Zucchini
- 1 Cup Zesty Italian Dressing
- Slice zucchini diagonally into ¼ inch rounds and place the slices in a quart sized zip-top bag.
- Pour the Italian dressing in the bag, squeeze out all of the air and seal. Place the bag in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Remove the zucchini rounds from the Italian dressing, shaking off any excess. Discard the dressing.
- Place the rounds in a grill pan or directly on the grate. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes on each side and remove from the grill. You're looking for grill lines and a wee bit of char.
Remember that a broiler is just an upside down grill. If it’s raining out, don’t fret – cook this tasty side dish on a pan in the oven!
Zucchini is a great candidate for freezer storage. Stock up in the summertime while it’s fresh and put it in the freezer to enjoy during the cold winter months. Simply blanch in salted boiling water for 2 – 3 minutes and immediately remove to an ice bath. Freeze on a parchment-lined pan until they’ve hardened and then transfer to a zip-top bag for long term freezer storage.
Like asparagus, the best zucchini are the small and medium ones. Stay away from the giant guys…they won’t kill you but they won’t be as tasty as their smaller friends.