Every good southern cook should have a breakfast casserole up their sleeve. There are hundreds of different recipes and they’re all variations on “pour scrambled eggs over tasty breakfast foods and cook” so you should be able to find one that suits you. This recipe is the first breakfast casserole that I ever had so I thought I’d share it with you first.
All of the prep-work for this sausagey, eggy, cheesy breakfast casserole is done the night before, so this the perfect breakfast for a large crowd. Once you learn the basics of this casserole, you can substitute your favorite things in until you create your very own perfect breakfast casserole.
- 1 lb Hot Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Large Onion, Thinly Sliced into Half Moons
- 1 Large Bell Pepper, Thinly Sliced
- 12 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Milk
- 7 English Muffins
- 2 Tbs Butter, Melted
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Crumble and cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooked to a paper-towel lined plate and pour off all but about 1 Tbs of the fat left in the pan.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until they are soft and translucent - about 5 minutes.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, beat the eggs, sour cream and milk together in a large bowl.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Split the English muffins and line the bottom of the dish with them. Pour the butter over the English muffins and then layer on the cooked sausage, peppers and onions, and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the top, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Wake up and stumble through putting the coffee on
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Cook the casserole for 35 – 40 minutes until the eggs are set in the middle.
- Let the casserole rest for 10 – 15 minutes and serve.
Leave the sausage out for a tasty vegetarian (or at least ovo-lacto vegetarian) breakfast casserole!
This casserole, like many other casseroles will freeze beautifully! Instead of refrigerating overnight before cooking, freeze before cooking. Move it to the refrigerator before you go to bed and cook as normal.
Breakfast casserole also goes by the names egg strada and crustless quiche.