As far as dessert is concerned, perfection was achieved when chocolate and peanut butter got together to make sweet sweet lovin’ down by the fire. See what I did there? Sweet? Fire? It’s funny.
Seriously though, I cannot resist this combination so when deciding on what to make for our sweet treat this week, I went with the chocolateyest peanut butteryest cupcake that I could find. The bonus to this is that cakes and cupcakes are great freezer foods. Check out the Freezing Tips below for more info on freezing unfrosted cupcakes.
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1-3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ Cup Cocoa
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- ½ Cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, Softened
- ½ Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Heat oven to 350°
- Line 24 – 30 muffin tins with cupcake liners and spray the liners and top of muffin pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix everything together in a stand mixer or with beaters and fill muffin cups about ¾ full. The batter will be pretty thin.
- Cook for 22 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and peanut butter together until it’s well mixed and lightened in color.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, a little bit at a time, until it’s all incorporated
To make frosting the cupcakes easier, wait until they have cooled down. Use a cake decorating bag or make your own using a Ziplock bag. Put the frosting in the bag and cut off the corner. Frost away!
Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready for a tasty cupcake, pull one out of the freezer, frost and enjoy!
Note: Freezing frosted cupcakes is not illegal and frosted cupcakes will do just fine in the freezer. Never let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do with your cupcakes.
- Cupcakes are over 200 years old.
- 13% of wedding receptions now use cupcakes instead of traditional wedding cakes.