Sometimes I like the idea of bananas better than actually eating bananas so we have a lot of brown bananas in the freezer. The best part about all of those bananas in the freezer is that sometimes Michael will turn them into the most amazing banana bread in the world. This recipe came from his Aunt Suzi and whenever I bring it to work, everyone goes bananas for it!
Seriously…this bread is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
I couldn’t resist…
- 2 Super Ripe Bananas, mashed
- 2 Eggs
- 1¾ Cup Flour
- 1½ Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Walnuts (optional)
- ½ Cup Oil
- ¼ Cup plus 1 Tbsp Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan. We've found that glass works the best.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until top is a deep brown and split and a toothpick comes out clean.
Michael says his secret is that he doesn’t put the nuts in it but I’ll leave that up to you. This bread is great plain or with butter or cream cheese.
- Don’t throw away your brown bananas. Throw them in the freezer and then thaw them out when you’re ready to make this tasty treat. The best part is they have their own wrapper!
- This bread freezes really well after it’s cooked and doesn’t take long at all to thaw so you have a sweet treat on hand whenever you want one.
- Bananas are naturally radioactive.
- There are approximately 1000 different types of banana plants.